Cholesterol-Free Mushroom Stuffing in Pastry
Calorie for calorie mushrooms have more protein than chicken or turkey with half the calories and no artery-clogging cholesterol. You can purchase stuffing mix or you can make your own No-Knead Sage Bread for the stuffing.
1 oz dried Porcini mushrooms
1 oz dried wild mushroom mix
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1 Portabella Mushroom
1/2 cup Chantrelle mushrooms
1 cup white button mushrooms
1 cup chopped Shitaki Mushrooms
1 cup of Maitake mushrooms (Hen of the woods)
1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon of sage
1/2 cup of walnuts
2 cups of dried cubed No-Knead Sage Bread or Seasoned\
1 sheet of Pepperidge Farm Puff pastry
1. Wash the dried mushrooms and put them to soak in enough hot water to cover them, about a cup. Soak for about an hour while you prepare the other ingredients
2. Chop the onions and celery finely
Add any other cultivated wild mushrooms that you prefer. If you don’t have access to cultivated wild mushrooms just use white button mushrooms, they are just as good but the cultivated wild mushrooms have more flavor.
4. Drain the dried mushrooms and reserve the soaking water
5. Add the onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms to a large skillet with a cup of water, cover and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. The mushrooms will lose their water and shrink considerably6. Chop the reconstituted dry mushrooms into small pieces and add to the mushroom mixture with the drained mushroom soaking liquid. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
7. Add the dried sage, poultry seasoning and chopped walnuts
8. Add the cubed dried No-Knead Sage bread or purchased herb seasoned stuffing mix
9. Mix the mushroom nut mixture and the dried bread well. Add a little more water if necessary. Cover the mixture and let the dried bread soak up the flavorful liquid while you prepare the pastry.
10. Lay the puff pastry on a floured pastry board. Using a rolling pin flatten pastry into a square
11. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
12. Shape the pastry into a log or into a bird shape or pastry parcels and bake for 30 minutes,.