This soup is easy to make, nutritious, delicious and inexpensive. You have no excuses not to eat a healthy diet. This soup has a high potassium to sodium ratio which is excellent for people with high blood pressure. It is packed with vitamins and minerals and garlic is powerful cancer fighter.
Easy Butternut/Pumpkin Squash Soup
- 1 cup of butternut squash cubes (pumpkin or calabasa squash (West Indian Pumpkin))
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of thyme leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 cup of water or vegetable stock
- Peel the squash, cut into cubes and put in to a medium saucepan
- Peel and chop the onion and put into the saucepan
- Peel the cloves and put into the sauce pan
- If using dried thyme, measure out a 1/4 teaspoon and add. If using fresh thyme put the sprig into cook with the squash but remember to remove it before blending because the stems may not blend completely
- Add water, turn on the heat, bring to a boil, lower the heat and let the vegetables simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes until soft.
- Turn off the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes
- Pour the vegetables and water into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. You may have to add a little water to get the soup consistency that you like
- Add salt and pepper sparingly to taste. Taste the soup first it is actually delicious without salt but you can add a little Himalayan salt. This will increase the sodium but will add a few other minerals too.
- Enjoy!!! Serve with pita pockets stuffed with mushrooms, green salad and avocado dressing for a delicious lunch.
Protein: 3 g If you are worried about eating carbs and diabetes read
Total fat: 0 g about the glycemic index
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Potassium: 658.2 mg
Sodium: 11 mg
Carbohydrate: 28 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g