Oil-Free Tomato Sauce
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (about a 1 pound), coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped ( about 1/2 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dry
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1. Put the tomatoes, onion, garlic and herbs into a small saucepan with the water
- and bring to a boil.
- 2. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the sauce cool for safety.
- 3. Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and pulse until the tomato and herbs are finely chopped but not pureed.
- 4. Pour the blended sauce back into the saucepan to thicken if necessary
- 5. Add salt to taste. This sauce is tangy without any salt, taste it first and add only a pinch of salt, if any.
- 6. Add pepper to taste